Virtual Speaking with
Cynthia Leitich Smith
with YA author
Cynthia Leitich Smith
Invite Cynthia Leitich Smith to speak to an audience of YA book enthusiasts via Skpe!
Cost & Duration
The cost is $300 for a half hour to an hour.
Cynthia will send signed copies of the entire Tantalize series. Cynthia will also send up to 100 signed bookmarks to be distributed to attendees.
Plus spooky surprise gifts.
Looking for more Tantalize series T-shirts, mugs, hats, posters, etc.? Shop Sanguini's at CafePress.
Invite Cynthia For A Virtual Visit
Contact Cynthia with: your name, the name and type of your organization; your snail and e-mail addresses and your phone number; the dates you're considering; the length of your proposed visit; and any other pertinent details (including Skype name).
Preparation & A Virtual Chat
- Schedule the Chat (see immediately above).
- Pay the Author $150.
- Schedule a Practice Session.
- Order books for sale or audience use (optional).
- Prepare your audience. Hearing an author speak may have intrinsic appeal,
but a presentation has more resonance when the audience is familiar with
that author's work. Coordinators should plan to book talk Cynthia's titles
in advance and read selections from them to the audience. Or, of course,
the audience can read her books in advance on their own. Teachers seeking
curriculum tie in ideas may want to consider the materials outlined below.
It is also recommended that the audience be encouraged to surf Cynthia's
Web site in advance.
In addition, some coordinators prefer that their classrooms prepare questions
for the author in advance of the event, sometimes working in groups.
- Download and Practice with Skype for an Instant Chat.
Cyn NOTE: Especially if you have an easy-to-use bulletin board/chat, Cynthia has been known to adapt.
- Host the Chat!
- Keep in touch. Audience members are invited to write Cynthia directly
online. Some school classroom groups may want to send snail-mail letters.
Prepare the Audience
Cynthia chats with Teens at Second Life about her YA Gothic fantasy novels.
- Invite attendees to dress up as characters (from the books or of their own invention) from the world of Tantalize. Its creatures include angels (guardian and arch) a myriad of shapeshifters (werewolves, werecats, werearmadillos, wereopossum, werebears, wereelk, etc.), vampires (modern and Carpathian), ghosts, demons, faeries, pesky human beings…
- (Cynthia will be dressed up, too!)
- Decorate your room like Sanguini's! Use candles, black/red linens, spooky décor.
- Prepare some Sanguini's-inspired snacks! Check out the menus from Tantalize and Blessed for inspiration or check out Halloween recipes or Italian delights (pizza! pasta!).
- Check out the teacher guides for each of Cynthia's YA books.